Skip to main content

Bubble.

     "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matt. 28:19-2o

     If you're reading my blog, chances are that you already know what the Great Commission is. We memorize it when we're little, and envision the far off places that we'll go when we get older. Kids grow up, and we soon forget what these verses mean. Sure, you can move away for a year or two for missions, but make sure you keep your roots!**

     I have never, thus far in my short life, felt called to go overseas for a year or two. I have always felt like God wanted me in a long-term mission field that I don't need a break from. Why does the mission field have to be overseas? God has yet to give me an greater longing to go across the ocean than to stay on this continent. Maybe it's coming, but no one's told me. 

     What is one suppose to do then? Christians commonly accept the Great Commission as an international calling, but that doesn't appear to be my calling. Am I living unbiblically?

     All the pieces finally came together like a glorious parfait one random afternoon. I realized that we are someone else's "overseas." If people come to America as missionaries, why do Christians think they must leave? I acknowledge and understand that some must fly away, but another continent is not the only place to teach and disciple. American's are no better than foreigners! Christians are suppose to minister in their domesticated lives! America is a nation, and God knows that America needs Him. Gracious. 

     Here's what I propose; let's plug into the communities around us! I don't mean that menno bubble you live in, I mean the nonchristians. *Gasp! You mean I have to talk to people about God?!* Yeah. Admittedly, it's tough to get connected; I, personally, feel like every idea for plugging in makes me come off as a creeper. It's a work in progress. 

     I want out of my bubble! I want to get away from communicating with only Christians and start getting to know the lost and broken. Christians have the answers for their problems, but what if nobody tells the other humans?! We can't sit and complain about a broken world 'cause complaining is just filling an empty void with words, and no action is required. 

     I want my mission field to be where I am in life; a mission where no break is required because it is simply real life. Is that possible? What do you propose? How do you plug into your community? 






     **I'm not completely against short-term volunteer service, but I do, at times, question if it is used too broadly. This is another soap box, but I readily share my thoughts and opinions, if asked. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greetings.

      Hey you! Welcome to my unpretentious blog. I've wanted to start a blog for a bit. You know, like an online journal. Except everyone can read this!!! EEEK! If you dare to venture back here again someday you may find a various assortment of ramblings, thoughts, and the many other things that happen in my life and head. I'm not planning to have a rigid schedule, at all, like, no plans whatsoever. So I guess we'll see how often I post. But for now I will bid you adieu.  

Christie.

     Hello folks! It's been a bit since I've popped on here. My apologies. I have been particularly busy of the late. And this post is a leeetle explanation of why. It has been given the name of "Christie", based on the book "Work, a Story of Experience".      It started on August 19 with auditions. We were given our parts on that nerve-filled afternoon. My dear Maria was given the lead. Soon after, practice started. We started off ever so slowly even with two practices a week. We came to a conclusion about a month ago that we indeed were too slow. Therefore two extra practices from nine to eleven p.m. were added for each remaining week. Well, we made it through the entire script! But the true question was, would we be able to maintain our sanity and pull this thing off? We had our first run-through this past Sunday. It was a crash and burn, and gave us the kick in the butt we needed.      You need to understand something about this play. There are about

Musing of a Younger Me.

     Death can be a cruel monster, or it can be a darling lamb. Why would it viciously claim the life of a beautiful twelve year old girl, or a charming nine year old boy? But yet Grandma accepted it willingly, with grace and beauty.      God called them all by name to Him, and lets us ask questions. Now, don't get me wrong, I love God and don't wish to doubt His judgement. But I do wonder, why do beautiful children have to die in painful ways? What about the families? And friends? They are all just left to grieve and remember. To adjust and ponder. To question, "God, why?"     We don't know the answers right now. We may someday know, or not till we reach heaven. But God has a beautiful reply for each question we ask. And finally, when we reach heaven, we will see the beautiful part of the picture. We will smile and tell God, "I love you. Thank you for Your comfort, and thank you for never leaving me."     *And thus ends the short musings of my you